Weight Loss Advice: Things to Do Before Considering Surgery
Weight loss surgery is a big decision and for many can be both life changing, life enhancing and life saving with the ability to rewrite a person’s future.
Weight loss surgery is an extremely effective and useful tool for patients who, for various reasons, have been unable to shed significant excess weight.
Despite the benefits, those who are considering surgery are usually advised to try more traditional methods of weight loss before opting for the procedure.
There are many things that you can try before booking a surgical consultation that can be carried forward throughout the gastric sleeve surgery or gastric bypass surgery surgery.
While weight loss surgery works for many people, it should be not be considered as shortcut to weight loss. It requires significant lifestyle changes such as improved diet and exercise.
- Food basics – Eating the right foods in the right portions plays a large role in a person’s ability to lose weight. The help of a dietician or professional weight loss clinic is priceless here, as they will be able to assist you in creating a dietary plan. Significant lifestyle changes, including weight loss, should always be aided by a healthcare professional, rather than being undertaken alone.
- The magic of movement – when carrying a lot of extra weight, it can be difficult to know where to start and what exercise is safe to undertake. Start slowly and gradually build up your fitness – even a short stroll twice a day, building up your pace and distance over time, can do wonders for your physical and mental health.
- Stick to a routine – most attempts at weight loss fail because we take on too much too soon and eventually burn out. Take it slowly, don’t punish yourself and reward your successes. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.
- Buddy up – embarking on a weight loss programme can be lonely, but if you link up with a buddy who is equally committed to the same journey you can support one another, and enjoy some company on those walks.
- Stop smoking
- Stop or significantly reduce alcohol intake.
Mr. Siva Gounder is the director and head of Perth Weight Loss & Surgery. With more than 15 years surgical experience, Mr. Gounder is fully trained and qualified to provide bariatric surgery in Perth that helps treat obesity. This includes gastric banding, sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass, sips surgery, duodenal switch operation and revisional surgery.