So, you have made the decision to explore weight loss surgery? Good for you!
This is an exciting time that is no doubt filled with questions and uncertainties you may have to ensure you make an informed decision.
Do your research and find out as much as you can about the options that best suit you and the process involved from surgery to recovery and weight loss maintenance into the future.
Weight loss surgery can give patients a completely new lease on life and choosing the right weight loss treatment specialist or weight loss surgery program is integral to achieve your specific health and weight loss goals.
During the first meeting with your healthcare professional it is natural that you will have many questions.
It is wise to write them all down as it can be difficult to remember everything you need to say during your initial consultation.
Your GP is a great person to approach at the beginning of this process as they are qualified to refer you to Mr. Gounder who will answer all of your initial questions.
Whether you opt for sleeve gastrectomy, gastric bypass surgery or any other weight loss surgery, there are many questions you may ask around different stages of your surgery:
- Is weight loss surgery a good option for me and why?
- Do I have any pre-existing conditions which would make surgery more difficult or risky?
- What weight related medical conditions may resolve or improve after surgery
- Are there other ways to effectively lose weight long term rather than surgical intervention?
- How long should the complete weight loss journey take?
- Is it wise to seek emotional support or counselling during this process?
- What is the success rate?
- What surgeries are available to me?
- How long do they take to perform and how are they done?
- Will I be given a general anaesthetic? What choices are there in this regard?
- What scars am I likely to have afterwards?
- How do I look after my wounds?
- What are the risks involved?
- Do the surgical risks outweigh those associated with obesity?
- How long will I stay in hospital?
- What medication will be required afterwards?
- Is there any medication I should avoid?
- Will I need assistance to get around once I am home?
- How much weight will I lose and how quickly?
- What will my diet and appetite be like afterwards?
- Are there any foods I cannot consume?
- When will I be able to return to work, drive etc?
- How important is an exercise plan along with surgery?
- What medical follow-ups will be required?
- Will excess skin removal surgery be required in the future?
Contact us for a complimentary consultation to gain the answer to your questions and determine which surgery is most suited to you.