Changing your lifestyle to incorporate healthier habits is not an easy thing to do. It can be very frustrating if you feel you are doing your best, yet the scales just aren’t reflecting your continued efforts.
Try as you might, the weight is not budging and it is when you are at your most frustrated and lost that is is very easy to throw in the towel.
Most healthy regimes or weight loss plans are abandoned when a person feels that their efforts are not working, and therefore feel it’s not worth continuing with the ‘punishment’ of healthy eating and exercise.
There are many reasons you could be struggling to lose weight, and if this is the case it could worth engaging with an industry professional who can take a look at your plan and figure out why this is happening.
Before being referred or assessed for gastric sleeve, lap band or weight loss surgery, it’s always worth trying the traditional approach to weight loss first, to see how effective it might be.
Failing this, weight loss can be achieved successfully through surgery and maintained for life.
Firstly, why might you be struggling to lose weight?
- Start the day right – people often think that eating less and holding out as long as possible between meals is an effective weight loss strategy. This is not the case, and studies show that eating a protein and fibre-packed breakfast can set you up successfully for the day. A nutritious breakfast will provide fuel for exercise and prevent your blood sugar from spiking and dropping, stopping you from reaching for quick-fixes and unhealthy snacks.
- Fluid retention – it sounds simple enough but always make sure you are drinking enough water throughout the day. We need water, not only to function, but to ensure that our bodies are operating at their full potential. Drinking a couple of litres every day will help flush out toxins, brighten skin and reduce bloating and constipation, which could be inhibiting your weight loss journey.
- Portion control – even when eating the right foods, weight loss can be impeded by overly large portions. The guidance of a professional Perth weight loss clinic can be helpful here, and provide you a meal plan detailing the correct amounts of protein, carbohydrates, fats and fibre required to help you reach your goal.
- Eating too little? – just as eating too much can hinder weight loss, eating too little can restrict your body’s ability to function properly and burn fat. Cutting food intake drastically and starving yourself will not result in you reaching your goal weight, but instead will make you miserable and more likely to give up.
- Underlying health problems – if you are doing everything you should be and the weight is still not moving, then it could be due to an underlying health issue, such as a thyroid problem or hormonal disorder. A visit to your GP for testing could easily detect this and allow you to meet your weight loss goal.